Stress can influence the muscle tension in our bodies, especially our shoulders.
If you start to feel tension this holiday season, take some time with this relaxation and release for your shoulders.
1) Heat your shoulder 15-20 minutes with a heating pad, hot water bottle, or warm bean bag. You can heat both sides at the same time or one side, then the other.
2) Do 3 shoulder circles, first by bringing your shoulders forward, then up towards the ears, then down and back while squeezing your shoulder blades gently together and down your back.
3) Gently stretch your neck, tipping your ear towards one shoulder, then the other side. Avoid lifting your shoulders to your ears. Hold each side while taking 2-3 slow breaths.
4) Slowly look over one shoulder, then the other. Hold each side while taking 2-3 slow breaths. Again, avoid moving the shoulders, only the neck in a comfortable range of movement.
5) Take 3 slow, deep breaths.
6) Continue your holiday!
Stephanie LeClair RMT is dedicated to empowering people through therapeutic massage therapy and providing practical education about how their body works and giving simple, easy, effective self care for a variety of conditions including back pain, knee pain, shoulder pain, headaches, vertigo, menstrual cramps, pre and post natal care for mom, whiplash, edema, sport injury, sciatic pain, tendinitis, disc herniation, fibromyalagia, multiple sclerosis, and plantar fascitiis. www.stephanieleclair.com/